Politics, Religion and Spanking. The three topics you avoid at all costs. Dr. Leman steps into the discussion. There are two main spanking camps: the spank away camp and never, ever spank camp. What does Dr. Leman suggest?
Discipline is a hard issue for parents these days. There used to be a general consensus on what was appropriate. With today’s diverse opinions, Dr. Leman lays out a plan for you. Listen to the whole episode to get his full view on spanking.
Items from the podcast
- Spanking is an open hand to the bottom. It is not hitting your kid in anger. It must only be on the bottom and no where else.
- Spanking is now considered the worst thing you can do to the kid. Yet, there are limited appropriate times to use spankings.
- The entire number of times that the Lemans used spanking was a total of 8 times for all 5 kids.
- Most people misrepresent or misuse spanking.
- Dr. Leman believes an open hand is better than a neutral object, because you will know just how hard you spank your child. With a neutral object, you may hit harder than you realize.
- If you were ever abused, don’t use spanking.
- Spanking isn’t the only option to discipline.
- Only use spanking for very special issues.
- When in doubt to spank or not to spank, don’t spank.
- If you are spanking a lot, there is something wrong with your relationship with your kid.
The next session is a Ask Dr. Leman Your Questions. If you have a question or thought regarding this topic, please leave us a voicemail for the next session. It must be under 30 seconds for the podcast. We reserve the right to use your question on the podcast.
If you have an idea for a podcast or a question about an upcoming episode, e-mail me. If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What parts do you agree with Dr. Leman? What parts do you have questions about?