Kids grow up fast, and maybe you are at the point where you are helping your teen find a focus and direction for their lives. Are you wondering how to help them find their purpose in life? If so, this episode is for you!
Let me put on my Dean of Students’ hat for this episode…
I saw kids enter college with an idealistic view of themselves and where they would be in four years. Eighty percent of the kids came in as freshmen in pre-law or pre-med. Most changed their majors 3-4 times.
This is an indication that they were not prepared when they stepped into college.
When your kid steps into high school is the time to start having them shadow and intern at various jobs. Let them see what the work world looks like.
- Is my child good at people, data, or things?
- There are the social ones who are good at people.
- There are the kids who always want to take things apart; they make good engineers and builders.
- The math nerds are good with data.
- The musical should be allowed to broaden their experience with music.
- Finally, vocalize what you see in their interests, and brainstorm with them about what they see themselves doing at 25.