Hi Everyone! Welcome to my new website! We worked hard to make the site user friendly and we welcome any of your comments.
We had a great Christmas, all of my five kids were home! And in typical Leman style, we had fun. It’s great to have kids who love each other and love us.
Can you guess who is who?
At this time of year everyone is talking about resolutions for the coming year. So I thought I would take time this first blogpost to give you some suggestions to make sure that your relationships with those you love most are strong and healthy! I am sure many of you made a resolution to be a better parent or spouse… If so, leave a comment, tell me your goals!
Tips for parenting:
1. Watch your expectations, make sure they are positive and not negative!
2. Make sure your kids get enough Vitamin E (encouragement) and some very essential Vitamin N which is No! Remember, if you love your child, you will disciple them
3. Rules are important but not the only thing that is important, relationships matter most!
4. Have fun with your kids, laugh at yourself, use the words, “I am sorry”
5. Finally, to put it bluntly do not take any disrespectful act from your son or daughter without significant consequences!
Kids have a need to please you. They don’t like it when Mom and Dad are unhappy.
As important as relationships are with our kids, the more profound relationship is with your spouse! Now, realizing that many of you are single, stay with me because there are tips for you to come. For those of you who are married, here are some thoughts to make this year as close to stress-free as possible.
Tips for your marriage:
1. Ladies, remember he is the SIMPLE one! As I have said many times, think of him as a four year old that shaves! His needs are simple. He needs to be needed and wanted by YOU!
2.Guys, understand that your wife majors in relationships and communication. She has the need to hear from you. She wants to know your feelings that you have about, well… almost everything in life! She needs to feel like your lovingly affectionate at all times!
3. We spend money on everything under the sun, I wonder how many of us invest our time and our money in our marriage? Want to do something for your family this year, take time to be a couple, enjoy a date night, consider joining next year’s Couples of Promise Cruise! Those kind of investments play dividends for generations.
4. Do your marriage a great favor and make sure that your spouse and your relationship take precedence.
Tips for relationships (including those of you you are single!):
1. Don’t “should” on yourself — When you “should” on yourself, you are really putting down the masterpiece that God created in you. You truly are a one-of-a-kind!
2. If you have a critical eye– that is to say that you can spot a flaw, especially in the ones you love, in less than 10 seconds…. give it a rest! And rather than pull up the negatives, look for the positives and use the words, “Good job!” “Nice going” and “I bet that makes you feel good inside!”
3. One more thing, if you want to see a relationship with someone you love improve dramatically, in less than 48 hours, stop asking questions! It’s like magic. On that note, tuck the “why” word away and watch the relationship change before your eyes!
Two of my favorite scriptures come from St. Paul — Where in Ephesians 6, he says “Children obey your parents, it is the right thing to do! Because God has placed them in authority over you.”
And in the preceding chapter, Paul writes these profound words, for those of us who are married, “Honor Christ by submitting to one another.” These imperfect people that surround your life are God gifts for you! Handle these relationships with care.
I have said many times that marriage and parenthood is not easy, but it is simple. God does have a simple plan for our marriages as well as for the journey of being a good parent.
As a welcome to my new website, I thought I would start with a Giveaway! This one is simple. There are only TWO things you have to do to enter.
1. Use the buttons below to share this post with your friends on Facebook and/or Twitter. Invite your friends, help us get the word out about this new site!
2. Leave me a comment on this post! Tell me your resolutions this year. How you are going to strive to be a better parent, husband, wife, son or daughter…etc.. Or just tell me what you think about the new site!
Friday afternoon I will select a winner, at random, to win 3 autographed books (Now, the books need to be in stock!) Don’t forget to give your email in the comment section so I can get a hold of you!
I wish you all a great 2012.