Have you ever wondered why your children are experts at complaining? Listen to this episode to learn the trick to stop the complaining.
Your children use complaining because it is getting them what they want. This makes a parent the main contributor to a kid’s continued use of complaining.
Want to stop it? Learn this key phrase: “I am sure you can handle this.”
Insights from the Podcast
- Your children use complaining because it works!
- Instead of listening to your kid’s complaints about others, expect them to go talk to the person.
- Kids love to bait their parents by pushing their parents’ buttons.
- Train Up your child; not Down. Expect more from your kids, and they will rise to the occasion.
Practical Action Steps
- If your child complains about someone, say: “I am sure you can handle this,” and have them resolve it themselves.
- If your child complains about something, like dinner, take it away (as long as it doesn’t harm them).
Parenting Phrase/ Pocket Answer*
“I am sure you can handle this,” takes the proverbial “tennis ball of life” and puts it back in their court. Use this phrase to give the issue back to the child and off of your shoulders.
*Pocket Answers are memorable phrases to help you remember key parenting principles.
Question: What have you seen that increases or decreases the instances of complaining?
The next session is on Defiance. If you have a question or thought regarding this topic, please leave us a voicemail: